You love our Veg combo but there is sometimes a fresh and healthy vegetable (or is it a fruit?) that you just can’t seem to think what to do with it. This week we have 3KG of lovely tomatoes, and we’re here to tell you that there’s more to tomatoes than fresh salad and bredies.
Tomatoes are full of antioxidants and have near-zero fat and high in dietary fibre, vitamin C and K. Not only does it not have any cholesterol, but studies have shown it might actually lower cholesterol.
There are many more fantastic ways to enjoy tomatoes apart from starring in its permanent role in the green salad, and the SA traditional tomato bredie. Check out below to find some great recipes and tips to enjoy your 3kg box of luscious red tomatoes.
- Freeze your tomatoes. While tomatoes will lose their shape after being frozen, this is perfect to make your own tomato ragù, sauces, or add into curries.
- Chomp it like an apple! This one’s not for everybody but it definitely has devoted fans. Simply grab your tomato, sprinkle with salt and take a bite!
- Grilled tomato with breakfast. An often-forgotten part of a Full English breakfast, the grilled tomato adds a good tart element to balance the flavours and textures.
- Sandwiches! I know it sounds obvious but anytime you’ve prepared a sandwich, add a few tomato slices to increase the flavour and your intake of dietary fibre. Whether it’s a packed work lunch or a small toasty snack around tea time, throw in some tomato.
- Stuffed tomatoes. Fill your tomatoes with tasty ingredients and bake for a winning side dish or starter, that will have you eating with your eyes first.
Recipe for Honey Pork Chops and Stuff mint couscous tomato
Recipe for Spicy Spanish style Stuffed tomatoes
- Bruschetta with tomato: Quick, easy, and affordable finger food, or appetizer that still looks like a million bucks. Tomato works beautifully with the Italian flavours of mozzarella, basil, and cold meats. It’s as easy as a grill and throws on what you like, but for some ideas check out this bruschetta recipe.
- Tomato Soup; perfect winter warmer. Make a big pot and freeze for another day. Simply leave out the meat for a lighter, or vegetarian meal; Slow-roasted Tomato Soup.
- Salsa, which basically means sauce in Spanish. Finely chopped onion, tomatoes, and herbs drizzled with olive oil add colour and flair to any platter or tapas. A more local version would be a tomato & onion ‘smoortjie’ – perfect on burgers or a juicy boerie roll.
Our tomato supplier, ZZ2 is the largest tomato producer in the Western Hemisphere and has a company history of over 100 years!