The perfect pot roast chicken
There is nothing more satisfying than pulling that perfect pot roast chicken out of the oven on a cold winter’s day, served with some hearty vegetables. This has a delicious citrus flavour from fresh oranges.
Try these 5 tips for perfect roast chicken!
- Chicken and Poultry
- South African
Prep Time20 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
For the Chicken:
- 1 large whole chicken
- 30ml (1 Tbsp) butter
- Handful rosemary, picked
- Handful parsley, chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) chilli flakes
- 10ml (2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 orange
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Food Lover’s Blended Seed & Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Vegetables
- 4 large potatoes, washed and cubed
- 4 large carrots, washed and peeled
- ½ butternut, peeled and cubed
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- Rosemary, chopped, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the butter, rosemary, parsley, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Season the flavoured butter to taste and add the zest of the orange.
- Gently rub this mixture underneath the skin of the chicken and also some on top of the skin.
- Cut the orange in half, or, if it is too large, into slices, and place them into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into an oven-proof dish.
- For the vegetables, arrange the potato cubes, whole carrots, butternut cubes and whole garlic cloves around the chicken. Season to taste, sprinkle with rosemary and drizzle with a dash of oil.
- Roast the chicken and vegetables for about 1 hour or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.