Steak, Egg & Sweet Potato Chips
You can’t go wrong with this classic, a classic that we sometimes just crave!
Did you know this great combo is the traditional NASA astronaut’s breakfast? It was first served to Alan Shepard before his launch into space on 5 May 1961. Since then it has become a hit as a breakfast or brunch dish.
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time45 minutes
For the Sweet Potato Wedges:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- 15ml paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Steak and Egg:
- 2 x 250g Food Lover’s Market beef rump or sirloin steaks
- 2 eggs
- Butter, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Herbed Garlic Butter:
- 60ml (1/4 cup) salted butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30ml (1 Tbsp) Food Lover’s Rocket & Hemp Seed Pesto
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, chopped (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
For the Sweet Potato Chips:
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Place the sweet potato wedges on a baking tray and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Drizzle with some olive oil and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until cooked and crispy.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and place them fat-side down in the pan. Turn the heat on and set to a high heat. Fat renders best when you start in a cold pan. Cook on the fat side for about 5-6 minutes until the fat has rendered and is crispy. You will realise you don’t need any further butter or oil. Fry the steak for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen towel and heat on a medium heat with a knob of butter. Fry the eggs to your liking.
- Mix together all ingredients and season with black pepper.
- Place a dollop of the herbed garlic butter on the steaks and then top with a fried egg on each steak. Serve with sweet potato wedges.