Spiced Vanilla and White Chocolate Rice Pudding
Whether your lifestyle is vegan, plant-based, dairy-free or neither – this rice pudding will have you hooked on Vanilla Almond Milk. Beautifully spiced with cardamom and nutmeg, balanced with Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk with the addition of vegan whyte chocolate or cocoa butter creates a decadently creamy rice pudding. The question is….will this delicious rice pudding be your dessert or breakfast?
- South African
- Middle Eastern
Prep Time15 minutes
Cooking Time35 minutes
- 750ml (3 cups) Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk (*sweetened or unsweetened option)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2,5ml (1/2 tsp) nutmeg
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 orange
- 90g whyte chocolate (dairy-free) or 45g Cocoa Butter
- 80ml (1/3 cup) almonds, chopped
- Pour the almond milk into a medium saucepan over a low heat and add the arborio rice, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, nutmeg and saffron.
- Use a peeler and peel the skin off the orange. Add 4-5 orange peels and juice of ½ orange to the rice mixture.
- Allow to cook for about 30 minutes while stirring regularly. Once thickened, check that the rice is cooked and al denté. If not, add more almond milk or water.
- Once cooked, remove the cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods and orange peel.
- Add the white chocolate and stir until melted.
- Dish in serving bowls and garnish with orange zest and almonds.
This dessert is dairy-free, egg-free and gluten-free.
This creamy rice pudding recipe makes a great low-calorie dessert that is suitable for vegans. Almond milk pudding also makes for a great make-ahead breakfast!
- Which rice is best for rice pudding?
- Arborio rice, Italian short-grain rice is perfect for rice pudding, but any will make tasty pudding.
- What is Rice pudding made from?
- Rice pudding is made from rice (any type), milk (whole, coconut, almond etc.), and spices.
- Can I eat Rice Pudding Cold?
- Rice pudding is delicious eaten hot or cold! You can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- What if you are sugar-free?
- Use the unsweetened Almond Milk and a low sugar white chocolate, or cocoa butter.
- What if I don’t like rice?
- Then rice pudding is not for you, however, you can substitute the rice for white quinoa, or another grain of choice. Quinoa will have added protein, which is a great breakfast option.