Smoked Mussel, Sweetcorn and Herb Quiche
A simple way to enjoy a delicious healthy fat, and protein; mussels. Paired with corn and herbs, this smoked mussel quiche is sublime! A tin of smoked mussels and some everyday essentials (plus a little phyllo) is all you need for this meal. Serve it with a fresh side salad, et voila; you have your weeknight seafood dish!
Makes 1 x 23 cm Quiche
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
For the Filling:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 x 60 g (2 tins) smoked mussels, drained
- 2 fresh sweetcorn, kernels cut off cob
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cream
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) parsley, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) chives, finely chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g feta, broken into chunks
For the Base:
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a 23 cm round tin with butter.
- In a large pan, sauté the onions with a dash of oil until soft. Add the mussels and corn and cook for another 3 minutes. Set the filling aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and cream until well combined. Add the herbs, salt and pepper and whisk again.
- To prepare the phyllo pastry, lay a sheet onto a clean surface and brush with melted butter. Lay the next sheet on top and repeat with the rest of the sheets.
- Place the layered phyllo pastry into the tin, scrunching the edges that are sticking out. Spoon the mussel filling into the baking tin and spread out evenly. Then pour the egg mixture over and sprinkle with the feta chunks.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the edges are golden brown and the egg is cooked. Let it cool slightly and remove from the tin. Enjoy.