Roasted Almond and Peach Ice Cream
The combination of roasted almonds paired with sweet dessert peaches is a winner in this simple ice cream.
You don’t need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
For the Roasted Almond and Peach Ice Cream:
- 250ml (1 cup) Food Lover’s Market almonds
- 4 large dessert peaches (450ml peach purée)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) Food Lover’s 100% orange juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 310ml cream (1 ½ cups) cream
For the Almond Praline:
- 250ml (1 cup) sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 125ml (1/2 cup) almonds, roasted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Roast the almonds on a baking tray for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool. Chop the almonds to your liking – this will give texture to your ice cream.
- Halve the dessert peaches and discard the pips. Purée the peaches and strain. Set aside until needed.
- Place the sugar, water and fruit juice into a small saucepan and cook for about 10 minutes or until it reaches 110°C.
- While whisking, pour the sugar syrup over the egg yolks in a slow stream and whisk for about 3 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Fold the fruit purée into the egg mixture. Lastly, whip the cream and fold that and the chopped almonds into the ice cream base.
- Churn the ice cream base in an ice ream churner, or, alternatively, place in an ice cream container in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes until frozen.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and cook over a low-medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and caramelised.
- Place the almonds on a sheet of baking paper and pour the caramel over the nuts. Allow to set and break into shards.
- Serve with the ice cream.