Dark Chocolate Coco-Cream Pie with cashew-Ginger Crust
Dark chocolate, coconut, cashews & ginger…yes please! Indulge in this dark chocolate coconut cream pie with a cashew nut & ginger crust.
Prep Time45 minutes
Cooking Time45 minutes
For the Filling
- 100g dark chocolate (at least 70%)
- 1 can (400 ml) Food Lover’s Coconut Milk
- 125ml sugar
- 2.5 ml cinnamon powder
- 3 eggs, separated
For the Cashew Ginger Crust
- 100g Food Lover's Ginger Biscuits
- 100g cashew nuts
- 60g butter (or coconut oil for a Vegan option)
Prepare the tart crust
- Process the ginger biscuits and cashews until they form crumbs.
- Melt the butter and add to the crumb mixture, combining well.
- Press crumb mix into the base and up the sides of a pie dish.
- Refrigerate until required. (*whilst you make the filling)
- Place coconut milk in a saucepan over low heat; add chocolate broken into blocks. Melt chocolate into the milk, stirring. Add sugar and cinnamon, ensuring sugar is totally dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to tepid.
- Add chocolate milk mixture to the egg yolks, stirring until completely amalgamated. Whisk egg whites until stiff; fold into the chocolate mixture, working lightly and without over-beating, until mixture is well combined. Pour chocolate cream over biscuit crumb base.
- Place dish in an oven preheated to 180 deg C and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the filling is almost set. The middle may still be slightly “wobbly”. Turn off oven and allow pie to cool in oven for a further 15 minutes to set.
- Cool down further at room temperature, then place in the fridge to set completely, preferably overnight for best results.
- Before serving, roughly chop some cashew nuts and sprinkle over the top. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
For the Filling:
NOTE: Almonds can be substituted for cashew with equally delicious results, the choice is yours.
Make this recipe vegan by using vegan-friendly dark chocolate (like Lindt 70% or more, or a Nestle Midnight Velvet or Aero Dark Chocolate) and use coconut oil instead of butter.