Boerewors with Traditional Mielie Pap and a Tomato and Basil Smoor
This recipe is as South African as it gets, boerie on the braai, traditional pap, and a lekker tomato smoor. The small additional of basil in this chunky tomato relish (smoor) bring an extra depth of flavour. Enjoy this truly South African meal any day of the week…especially Heritage day.
- 800g Boerewors of choice
- 300g braai pap, cooked according to packaging instruction.
Tomato & Basil Smoor:
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Food Lover’s Signature extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 410g tin La Belinda chopped tomatoes
- 1 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 5 - 10ml (1 - 2 tsp) Food Lover’s sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) Food Lover’s Signature tomato sauce
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) Food Lover’s Signature balsamic reduction
- 250ml (1 cup) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly-ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare and braai the Amaboerie boerewors to your satisfaction.
- For the smoor; in a small saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook until they are translucent, then add the tin of tomatoes, basil, sugar, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar and cherry tomatoes.
- Stir, and season with salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by a third. Remove from the heat and serve the Amaboerie with the pap and the tomato and basil relish on the side.
What other recipe can I make with Boerewors?
Boerewors is best as is or as a Boerie roll, but you can enjoy it in other dishes too, like rump boerewors meatball pitas. Browse through some of our tried and tested boerewors recipes here.
What other dishes are South African?
Feast on some traditional, as well as new-takes on South African classic recipes here.