Baked Apple Tart
This tasty apple tart is the perfect Sunday lunch dessert in autumn or winter – imagine a milk tart-type filling in a pie crust topped with sweet caramelised apples. You only need pantry staples and voila!
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time50 minutes
For the crust:
- 375ml (1 ½ cups) flour
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) granulated sugar
- 2.5ml salt
- 125ml (1/2 cup) butter or baking margarine, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- +- 30ml (2 Tbsp) ice water
For the filling:
- 4 egg yolks
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) granulated sugar
- 45ml (3 Tbsp) flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) cinnamon
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) milk
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla
For the apple topping:
- 3 large or 4 small apples or pears of your choice
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) cinnamon sugar
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) honey
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Lemon Zest
For the crust:
- Sift together all dry ingredients and place in a food processor.
- . Add the grated butter/margarine and pulse until it looks like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and ice water. If it doesn’t come together like a formable dough ball, add more ice water.
- Remove from the food processor and form into a flat disc. Warp in cling film and place in the fridge to rest while you make the filling.
- Once the filling is done and cooling down, roll out the pastry with a dusting of flour and line your tart tin with the pastry. Place back into the fridge until your filling is cool enough to handle.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour and cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Meanwhile, scald the milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour the warm milk into the sugar and egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Return the mixture to your saucepan and whisk continuously until thickened.
- Place the custard mixture in a bowl and cover with cling wrap right on the surface, to prevent a skin from forming.
- Set aside until needed.
- Cut the apples in half and then slice every half into slices – keep them nicely together.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Place the filling into the lined tart tin and smooth out. Lay out the apples and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the pastry is completely cooked.
- Once the tart is out of the oven, glaze the top with some honey.