Homemade Aquafaba Tortillas
Aquafaba, say what?! Let’s start with that. Aquafaba is the brine from a tin of chickpeas (or beans, but chickpeas works best) that you would normally throw down the drain, in today’s World, that’s a ‘no-no’!
There are many ways to use this brine, thanks to the uptake of a vegan lifestyle, we’ve been able to get creative and have less waste.
In many cases, Aquafaba acts as an egg white substitute.
It’s time to make a tortilla filling of falafels or chickpea mayo with the chickpeas and use the brine to make these homemade tortillas.
If you’re wondering what the best way is to fold a tortilla, then watch this:
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time20 minutes
For the Tortilla/Wrap:
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 125ml (1/2 cup) aquafaba (water/brine from a tin of chickpea)
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 750ml (3 cups) cake flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
- 2.5ml smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Rosemary, chopped
For the wrap:
- Combine the water, aquafaba and olive oil and mix well.
- Add all the dry ingredients and knead until you have a workable dough and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Cover and allow the dough to rest for about 20-30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in 4 and roll each piece out.
- Heat a large frying pan with a dash of olive oil and fry each wrap for about 3 minutes per side, or until slightly brown and cooked. Cover with a clean dish towel to keep slightly warm.
You can fill your tortillas with whatever you like. We love it with chickpea mayo, tomatoes, and cheese. Some other great fillings include falafels, chilli beans, or chicken.