Apricot, Olive Oil and Almond Tea Cake with Roasted Peach Ice Cream
Sensational summer flavour in this apricot tea cake, balanced with almonds, a mild olive oil flavour and paired with a grilled peach ice cream.
Prep Time30 minutes
Cooking Time1 hour
For the apricot topping:
- 8-10 apricots, halved and stones removed
- 100g brown sugar
- 50g cream
For the Cake:
- 180g brown sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 200g (1 & 1/3 cups) cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 2,5ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Slivered almonds, to garnish
For the Ice cream:
- 2l store-bought vanilla ice cream
- 8 ripe peaches, halved and stones removed
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) honey
- 15ml (1 Tbsp) olive oil
For the Apricot topping:
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the sugar and in a separate small pot heat the cream. Add the warm cream to the melted sugar and stir until well combined.
- Add the halved apricots and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 30cm cake tin with baking paper and spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Pack the caramelised apricot halves cut-side down into the lined cake tin.
- To start with the cake batter, bring the sugar and milk to a boil in a saucepan.
- Beat the olive oil and eggs until light and fluffy. Now slowly add the milk mixture to the eggs while stirring to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Add the lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- Add the cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter over the apricot halves into the cake tin and bake for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften.
- While the ice cream is softening, place the peaches on a baking tray and drizzle with honey and olive oil. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.
- Remove the peaches from the oven and allow to cool, then purée until fine using a blender or food processor.
- Mix the roasted peach purée through the softened vanilla ice cream and place back in the freezer to harden.
- Garnish the cake with toasted slivered almonds and honey. Serve with the roasted peach ice cream.