We have good news: Autumn is the beginning of avocado season! This is a much anticipated time of year – that glorious time when avocados are at their best and we can enjoy them all day long at great prices! The even better news – not only are they delicious, they are a superfood! Why you ask? Here are some awesome avo facts:
- They are high in fatty acids, but they are also packed full of vitamins and minerals.
- Avocados are a great source of lutein, a carotenoid that works as an antioxidant and helps protect against eye disease. However, avocados aren’t just a rich source of carotenoids by themselves – they also help you to get more of these nutrients from other foods. Carotenoids are ‘lipophilic’ (soluble in fat, not water), so eating carotenoid-packed foods like fruits and vegetables along with monounsaturated-fat-rich avocados helps your body absorb the carotenoids. An easy way to do this is to add sliced avocado to a mixed salad.
- Avocados contain fibre which helps your digestive system to do its job properly and running smoothly. In addition, fibre slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in your body, helping you feel full for longer. Thus, eating avocado in your diet can help to control your weight.
- Rich, creamy, and packed with beneficial monounsaturated fat, avocado slows digestion and helps keep blood sugar from spiking after a meal. A diet high in good fats may even help reverse insulin resistance, which translates to steadier blood sugar long-term. Try putting mashed avocado on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise or on bread instead of butter.
- One cup of avocado provides almost a quarter of your recommended daily intake of folate, a vitamin which cuts the risk of birth defects. If you’re pregnant- or planning to be -avocados will help to protect your unborn baby. A high folate intake is also associated with a lower risk of heart attacks and heart disease. Does your family have a history of heart problems, or do you have risk factors (such as being overweight or smoking) for heart disease? Avocados could help keep your heart healthy.
The evidence is there – include more avocado in your diet today!
#LoveGoodFood #LoveFoodMovement #Avocados #TheatreOfFood #FruitFacts